Family Science Learning Overview
Now that you have reflected on your meaning-making from your model, your data (from investigations and community members) and your research on what people already know about your “Should We” question, you’re ready to make a decision about your “Should We” question and share it with others. This activity will take you through some steps to consider as you decide what you should do.
This activity has 2 parts:
- Part 1: Review your family’s “Should We” question.
- Part 2: Try to decide what your family “should” do, based on your investigations and your analysis of data. The chart in this tool will take you through some things to consider as you make your decision.
What Can You Do To Support Learning?
- This is an opportunity to share your family’s histories and values. You might also explore a familial or cultural practice or decision you make in the same way as previous generations in your family.
- Considering who your decision will affect is an important part of LE10. Every time you make a decision, others (both humans and more-than-humans) are affected. Some questions you can ask as a family are:
- What “Should We” question are we asking? Why is that important to our family and community?
- What are some options that we should consider? Why?
- Who else’s perspectives and experiences have we considered or heard?
- What does our analysis of our data suggest to us about which option we should take?
- What do our values and beliefs as a family or as community members influence decisions we make?
Connecting with Other Families
Decisions are always more powerful when you can gather others in your community to share your decision. This can start with communicating to others in your family, apartment building, cultural community, faith community, or school, amongst many other possibilities. Exploring possible decisions and sharing your decisions with other families in your community will also help you better understand who you will affect with your decisions, and how you can make decisions that are beneficial to the most humans and more-than-humans in your community!
Connect to Other Activities
- LE9.A: Connecting back to our “Should We” questions
- LE9.B: Returning to our models to ask more questions